In order for a computer to stay fast and reliable it has got to be well maintained. A computer can stay in good condition for a number of years if it is properly maintained. Here are ten tips on how to properly maintain your PC.
1. Be certain to have a good antivirus software installed in your PC and make sure that it is always updated. Viruses are among the primary reasons behind computer failure. A total pathogen scan should be performed constantly. Avoid visiting internet sites that are believed to be infested with spyware. Do not open e-mails whose sender seemed shady, they could contain deadly malicious software that will put your system at risk.
2. Defragment your disk regularly. Defragmenting your disk once in every two or three months is a great way to ensure that your computer stays in superb condition. Fragmentation occurs when your computer’s operating software fail to allot enough contiguous space to store a total file as a unit and instead places parts of it in gaps between other files. To illustrate this, let us compare it with a library where some users don’t return the books to the proper place after they read them. The books in the library are prepared in a way that would make it simple to find any particularly book simply. If many books are now not in their proper places it would take longer to find them.
A fragmented file system is similar to a library where the books are not in their proper places.Think of defragmentation as a process of returning the books in their proper places in order that it will be easier to find them using the card catalog. Windows XP and Vista have their own built in defragmenting software but they’re very slow. There are good defragmentation software that can do the job in a little part of the time it would take for the Windows default defragmenter to finish . I suggest Power Defragmenter and Contig.
3. Clean your Windows Registry constantly. When your Computer registry is blocked up with bad keys and entries the performance of your PC will slow down. There manual cleaning of the registry isn’t advisable to non-experts. There are some good registry cleaners like RegVac and Registry Engineer that are easy and acceptable to use.
4. Constantly get updates for your OS and other critical software. Some softwares do not offer automated updates so it is a good idea to frequently check with their website and download and install updates manually .
5. Remove cookies.It is a good advice to periodically remove web cookies to make certain that your web runs at optimum speed. It is simple to delete cookies with Firefox, just go to Tools then click Options. Decide on the “Privacy” tab then click the “Show cookies” button. Another box with the “remove cookies” button will pop up. Click the “remove cookies” button. If you’re using Net Explorer seven, do this : exit Net Explorer 7 then click start, then click run, then type inetcpl.cpl in the text field and click enter. The General tab will appear. Click “delete” under reading history in the Web Properties dialog box. The delete scanning history dialog box appears. Click remove cookies. Click “Yes”.
6. Constantly run Windows XP’s error-checking computer upkeep tool. It can be found by right-clicking the local disk icon in My PC folder and selecting “Properties”. Click the Tools menu and click the Error-Checking button. In the dialog box that pops up you can decide to run the mistake checker and scan for errors, or also fix system errors as it finds them.
7. Uninstall programs that you do not use. These programs occupy space in your hard disk. The more space you have in your hard disk the quicker your computer runs.
8. Always run your PC on a UPS. Sudden electric soars are dangerous to your PC.
9. If you’re acquainted with the inside of the surrounding, physically clean your PC. Remove dust that gather in the surrounding with material or vacuum. Be careful not to hurt any part though.
10. Give your PC a rest by turning it off every once in a while.
It is important to maintain your PC. If you follow the above tips you may be assured that your Computer will last for longer and always will have optimum performance. Click here : hot tech products and pc support news for more info.